Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lose Weight and Get Healthy

Sadly I’m a computer geek and I sit of my butt most of the day. Sadly I’ve never really considered myself an athletic person. I grew up with asthma therefore I never really did good at sports or running in particular.

I do seem to do well riding a mountain bike. I think all the different gears make riding easier for me. Then again, it could be just a mindset thing.

My first bike was a big-wheel – I guess you could call that a bike. It had pedals and it got me around the cul-de-sac (our house was on a cul-de-sac).

When I was 14 I delivered papers on a 1970’s banana seat bike with huge baskets on the front and back. At 4 in the morning I would load that bike up with about 100 pounds of papers and go out delivering papers in my neighborhood. Good times!

I know I had a ten speed in high school and I never really road a bike on my mission. Most of the time we had a car or we just relied on public transportation. I could tell you stories about the RTA!

My first mountain bike was a Giant. Then I upgraded that to a Cannondale. The Cannondale was awesome. I road the Cannondale to ASU and almost everywhere in between. While I was at ASU I had 2 “U” locks and a cable lock. I made sure if anyone wanted to steal my bike they would have to get through all 3 locks. I had no doubt a thief could steal my bike if he wanted but it would take him 10 minutes to get my bike and only a minute to get the other guy’s bike.

My Cannondale ended up getting stolen right out of my apartment. Someone just walked in and walked out with it.

My current bike is a Trek 4300. I bought it back in 2007 and I really like it. I couldn’t afford to spend $1000 and the Trek 4300 is a really good bike for the money (less than $1000).

Two years ago I was really good about riding it several days a week. Then, I just got too busy with work, church and family. And, for whatever reason, I lost my energy or enthusiasm for riding. I think I just got lazy.

Now, I’m on it again. I am focused and motivated!

Eat less... Exercise more...


1 comment:

Mela said...

we can do it