Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I was attacked!

I’ve been riding my bike the last couple of days. I have a goal to ride my bike 50 miles a week. You may think this is easy and for some it probably is...

I try to stay off the road and ride on the dirt. Usually, I try to stay off the paved roads. I don’t like riding on the paved roads because I worry I’m going to get hit by some idiot driver. Back in the day I used to ride my bike to ASU. To keep myself safe I just assumed everyone was out to kill me. I also enjoy riding off road because it’s more of a workout and it’s a lot of fun.

Around my house there are many places to ride. I have a route that takes me through the desert, down a canal, past a Kingdom Hall, up a dirt-bike path, beside a golf-course to an old airport landing strip, along the side of the I-10 and back to my house. It’s about 10 or 11 miles.

So, on Monday afternoon I was riding down some path carved out by dirt-bikes and quads east of my housing development and I got to a low lying area near a golf course where there was a lot of grass and kind of wet. As soon as I went down the hill into the area I was attacked by thousands of grasshoppers. They were all over me! I stopped to try to brush them off but there were too many and they just kept on coming so I climbed back on my bike an pebbled out of there as quickly as I could. When I was finally in the clear I felt something crawling in my armpit and down my back. I pulled off my camelbak and started shaking out my shirt and three grasshoppers fell out. Thank heavens I didn’t have any of the little buggers crawling up my pants. I will be scared for life!

I think I will avoid that part of the desert until it cools off a little bit more.

3 comments:

Michelle Ashton said...

Eewww! Good thing they didn't pee on you too. I hope they weren't BIG ones. We have some here that can get HUGE!

Heck when Quinn and I go out for walks we run into skunks! I don't know which is worse.

Mela said...

that's too funny! I think they probably are the huge ones! You should have taken pictures!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA!!! Classic.