Thursday, September 18, 2008

Opinion: When Jaedyn starts dating...

There was a funny story out of some Florida paper last week. For some reason it tickled the twisted side of my brain... this is never a good thing. To summarize the story a man comes home, finds a naked boy in a daughter’s bed room, he hits the boy in the head with a pipe and chased the kid off. The boy had to ride home on his bike naked from what I gather.... Click Here

You’d think when the sheriff arrived he would have thanked the man for being a good father and protecting his family from a possible intruder. The deputy would have thought father was good enough to only hit the boy with a pipe and not kill the boy with a SIG 226 loaded with Federal Hydra Shock bullets like I would have done. Unfortunately, the sheriff arrested the father – crazy world we live in...

All of this brings me to my opinion piece. The funniest part of this story was not the story itself was the comments readers submitted. Click Here

My favorite was as from momx2 submitted on 9/15/2008 at 8:27am.
My dad on his first meeting with my first boy friend came to the door with his double barrel and shells ask the boy his name wrote his name on the shells loaded the gun and sat it beside the back door The date never made it past the driveway we sat in his car for 30 minutes and that was that with my dad on the porch watching. We never went out again. If he had found a guy in my bedroom I believe he would have done much worse. As a mom I look back and thank God my dad was as protective as he was. This father should be given a pat on the back and a job well done.
This is a great idea! I totally plan on doing this when Jaedyn starts dating. In fact, I’m going to clear a shelf in my office for 12 gauge shells with boys names on them. I can envision the conversation going something like this...

I take the boy wanting to date Jaedyn into my office where I have my Remington 870 on display.

“What’s your name boy?” I would ask with a condescending southern accent.

“Jimmy...” the boy would reply timidly.

Then I would grab a half empty box of 12 gauge shells (I’m torn between #10 birdshot or just using buckshot – I’m leaning towards buckshot). I would pull out a black Sharpie marker and write the boy’s name on the side of a shell. Then I would set the shell on the shelf with all the other shells with other boy’s names on them.

There would be shells with names like Jake, Tim, John, Pepe... Just to make the poor boy wonder I would make sure two or three of the shells are spent.

Now you may ask if I am going to do this for my son Andrew? When girls come over to date my boy will you do the same thing? The answer is no. I would hope the fathers of the girls Andrew dates will find their own method of instilling fear.

5 comments:

Mela said...

poor jaedyn doesn't stand a chance!

Michelle Ashton said...

HA! I love it!! :o)

Anonymous said...

be honest Kyle. You will sit in the back seat of the car on the entire date. Poor Jaedyn... ;)

Kyle Is Neat said...

When Jaedyn does get married in the temple to a good looking return missionary that treats her like the princess and queen she is I will go to my daughter's newlywed husband and show him all the shells. Hopefully his shell won't have been spent for some reason...

I will show him his shell and tell him "Boy you done good! I'm still keepin' your shell on my shelf but all the other shells for them other boys, you can have them..."

Except he can't have the spent shells because I don't want those being used as evidence...

Unknown said...

I still recount the (possibly apocryphal) story about the first date our Aunt Kay and Aunt Shirley with 2 boys. The boys show up and little 3yr old Uncle Alan opens the door and lets them in. The entire family (parents, 2 older brothers, and 3 younger brothers including Dad) are sitting there and for the next 20min not a word was said. The girls are getting ready, the boys are trying to make small talk with the family, and the family are just sitting there staring at them.

Finally, the girls are ready and as they're heading out the door, 2nd oldest brother, Uncle Vance, pulls the boys aside and tells them to have the girls home by 10PM or he'll shoot them.

The date ends at about 10:30 or 11PM and as the 2 boys are driving away, Uncle Vance puts a .306 slug in the fender of their car! Needless to say, on future dates, these boys were on their best behavior and never had them home late again.

Now these 2 boys married these girls and are our Uncles Mads and Mac. And they all lived happily ever after.

I love my Uncle Vance. I need to buy a few more guns before Lauren starts dating.