Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Scary...

Scary world we live in...

A member of our ward went out on Saturday night to get an air mattress at Walmart. Some relatives were on their way into town and they needed a place to sleep. Brad Garrard never made it back home. No one knows what really happened. His body was found less than a block from his house. He had been shot in the chest. His truck was found on fire out in the desert.

Fox 10 news

AZ Family

AZ Central

Brad Garrard was a heck of a nice guy. He served faithfully as one of our 11 year old leaders and in our Cub Scouts.

All of this brings me to some thoughts on our world... Is it just me or are things getting worse out there? Am I going to have to start carrying my gun with me into work at 4:00 in the morning? Are we just going to have to have a curfew in the Christiansen household? Are we going to have to put GPS devices on our kids? Is this what we are coming to?

The Garrard family lived in a nice neighborhood. One that you thought you could walk around in at night. One that you thought you could just live peacefully and raise your kids. We live in a nice neighborhood. I hope we aren’t in any danger... but I guess one never knows.

Let me tell you this... I will up and move to Pima, AZ without ever looking back if I ever thought my family was in danger. My credit or some bank’s balance sheet means nothing to me when compared to the safety of my sweet family. I would sooner live dirt poor a single wide trailer in Pima where my kids were safe.

4 comments:

Mela said...

this was such a good happy family.

Michelle Ashton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Ashton said...

That is just terrible. We also got news this morning that one of Quinn's best friends from high school died. We are all in shock.

Anonymous said...

It is so easy to get caught up in the fear and I bet that is enhanced more with a family. But we can't let the fear control us, right? right? (insert slight panic here) I can't see you moving to Pima. How about Coolidge with the Rowley's? Ha.