Monday, August 25, 2008

Opinion Piece: I like Toyota Trucks

In my life I have driven the following cars and trucks I turned 16 in September of 1983. The following is my vehicle history:

1983 to 1986 > 1967 Chevrolet C-10 with no paint and no AC.

1985 > my dad bought a 1976 GMC Jimmy 4x4 – 400 cubic inch engine that got about 5 mpg – I had a job at McDonalds so I could afford gas. I would drive this truck off and on my senior year.

1987 to 1988 > 1985 Baby Blue Ford Tempo – I drove this car for 9 months on my mission. Yes, an ’86 Ford Tempo can reach in excess of 100 miles per hour and will actually catch air in a Dukes of Hazard manor on State Route 700 between Hiram and Kirtland Ohio.

1989 to 1990 > 1989 Toyota 4x4 Truck. This was the first vehicle I have owned and paid for myself. It got wrecked at the intersection of Rural and Baseline. I was very glad I had my seatbelts on.

1990 to 1995 > 1983 Honda Prelude which would overheat when I ran the AC.

1995 to 1998 > 1989 Honda Accord

1998 to 2002 > 1998 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x4

2002 > 2001 Nissan Altima. I drove this for about a year and then I gave it to my wife to drive.

2002 to 2006 > 1998 Toyota Tacoma extended cab 4x4 – I got this truck right after I realized you aren’t a man if you don’t have a truck.

2006 to present > 2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner long-bed double-cab – This is the first truck I have ever owned that was brand new. Thanks to Discount Tire It has cool wheels and big tires. This is my family’s GeoCaching mobile and my wife thinks I look “damn sexy” driving it.

My wife is currently driving a 2000 Nissan Xterra.

In my opinion of all the cars and trucks I have driven, Toyotas are the best. You will rarely have any mechanical problems. If you do, they are very easy to work on yourself. They drive nice and nothing can beat them off road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although the Nissan Pulsar I was given at 16 was magnificent (barf!); I am now a current Toyota owner (first time) and am loving it. I have the Solara which gets an average of 29.8 mpg; drives smooth and is plenty roomy. I hope to hold on to this for years and years.

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention the gold '82 Camaro that I let you drive after you came home from your mission (while I was on mine) until you bought your Toyota 4X4 in '89. That was definitely the coolest car you even owned.

And you forgot to mention that the real reason your 4X4 was totaled out in '90 was not the mechanical damage, it was the two 44oz Diet Cokes that completely soaked the interior when you were hit in that intersection. The insurance company was willing to straighten the frame, replace the fender/hood/door/grill/headlights and put in a new engine. But they did not want to clean up the sticky mess in the interior.

Kyle Is Neat said...

Kirk is quite right.

I had totally forgot about the '82 Camaro.

Diet Coke is a deep rooted sin that controls my life to this day... this will be the subject of another blog someday.