Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Opinion: Coke verses Pepsi

Lately I’ve been a blogging geek! I guess I have too much time on my hands – slow week in the Land of Schwab.

If you know me you know that I am an addict. I tried several 12 step programs to kick it. All have failed... Some people smoke, some people are hooked on crack and some people are hooked on internet gaming. I have been addicted to Diet Coke sense February of 1990. It’s not just Diet Coke it must be Diet Coke from a fountain not a can. The precise formula is as follows:
  • One 52 oz insulated refillable cup (my kids and wife refer to my 52oz cup as daddy’s sippy cup)
  • Fill the 52 oz “sippy cup” to the 1/3rd point with QT’s crushed ice.
  • Fill the cup up 9/10th of the way with Diet Coke.
  • Fill the remaining 1/10th with normal Coke.
So basically I’m addicted to a mixture of 9/10th diet and 1/10th real. There's nothing better than a nice long drag on a well made DC mix. It’s kind of sad really.

My DC addiction is a major stumbling block to my Sabbath Day observance – cans of DC just don’t cut it - only a fountain will due. Thanks to my loving wife I am doing better. I haven’t broke the Sabbath Day for a few months now. I just know if I do try to get a DC on Sunday some ward member will have a testimony crisis because the saw Brother Christiansen driving to Circle K (the closest QT is 17.3 miles away) to get his fix...

All of this brings me to my opinion piece: Coke verses Pepsi

The whole Coke verses Pepsi thing is almost like Republican verses Democrat or Mormons verses Baptists or even NL verses AL. It’s almost a religion. This whole Coke/Pepsi debate can create strong emotions on both sides... I am no exception.

Let me be frank – Pepsi tastes like used bath water to me. I would rather drink Buckeye tap water than to drink Pepsi. Simply put - Pepsi sucks.

Let me be even more frank – Diet Pepsi tastes like rust to me. That's right, you heard me, it tastes like rust. I would sooner go thirsty than drink Diet Pepsi.

Pepsi drinkers are sinning and they need to repent. Pepsi should be removed from all convenience stores and the shelves of supermarkets. Nothing irritates me more than going to some no-name convenience store in the middle of nowhere (Globe) only to find out they only serve Pepsi.

When I become Emperor of the World the second thing I am going to do as Emperor Kyle is to abolish Pepsi.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love "too much time on my hands" Kyle. Great posts :)

I'm a close second to your addiction although I can go an entire day without one; but not two days in a row.

My favorite is when you go to a restaurant and ask for Diet Coke and they say OK and then bring you Diet Pepsi. What are they thinking?!

Mela said...

I am sorry, but i have been converted to diet pepsi (when i do drink sodas). Diet coke is way to sweet for me. And i like it from the bottle, the harder the better!

Michelle Ashton said...

So sorry but both suck! I "use" to be addicted to Diet Coke back in the day, but I made myself get off and now I can't even stand the smell of pepsi OR coke. I however LOVE Code Red Mountain Dew now, but try to limit myself to those. I would REALLY love it if Pepsi made Baja Blast Mountain Dew available to other places than "just" Taco Bell Damn it! Those are dang good too!

Mela said...

now would you really do that to your wife? Abolish Pepsi? Just keep caffeine free diet coke around then OK? I just like the fizz!