Friday, May 30, 2008

iTunes is a program I love (to hate)

From my past blog you will know that my computer has recently been born again. I managed to get everything running without much problem. I had everything meticulously backed up. This included programs, my documents, my pictures (200 gigabytes) and my iTunes database (250 gigabytes – movies take a lot of space).

I have been using iTunes for years, I have 3 iPods - I know what I’m doing when it comes to iTunes. I know it is a major pain in one’s nether regions when it comes to moving the iTunes library. People have told me this pain is caused by Digital Rights Management (DRM). I reject this notion. DRM could easily be accommodated and a user should still be able to move their library wherever they wanted. To find out how to do this I would suggest Apple contract Microsoft and ask them how they do it in Windows Media Player (WMP). In WMP it’s easy to move libraries from one computer to another. Frankly, I think the programmers at Apple are idiots.

So here’s what I did:

(I’m doing this from memory – I don’t have my iTunes in front of me)

  1. Install iTunes
  2. Opened iTunes
  3. Went to Preferences
  4. Set the library directory to d:\iTunes
  5. Checked the option Keep iTunes Music folder organized
  6. Checked the option Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library
  7. Clicked on OK
  8. File to Add Folder to Library
  9. Find the folder where my backed up iTunes library was (p:\iTunesBack\iTunes)
  10. Clicked on Add

At this point iTunes proceed to copy data. “Wow,” I said to myself. “These Apple guys got it going on. I want to buy a Mac because their FLAGSHIP program is the bomb. iTunes is a user's dream. Thank you Steve. Thank you Woz. I’m not worthy... I’m not worthy...”

2 hours later the process was complete. I was happy.

I was happy until I noticed only about two thirds of my music copied over. None of my playlists copied. None of my ratings copied. I could tell you more about losing an authorization (you only get 5) but I will spare you.

I can do without the Ratings and the Playlists. There was no rhyme or reason as to what was copied and what wasn’t. Ozzy made it. Rascal Flatts didn’t. All my movies made it. All my podcasts didn’t. Mela’s Christmas music unfortunately made it. Little Big Town didn’t. There was absolutely no pattern.

As entertaining as those I’m a PC, I’m a Mac commercials are the world runs on Windows. 90% of iTunes users run iTunes on Windows. You’d think Apple would want to make a good program to show off their grace and skill...

Many times I have said to myself “I want to buy a Mac. They are realty cool. Steve Jobs will make everything okay... All of my hopes and dreams will come true...” Then I use iTunes and I am reminded Apple is just as fallible and unresponsive to user needs as the US Government is to its citizens.

I could write much much more about iTunes... I will spare you... I buy all my music from AmazonMP3 anyway (DRM free is the bomb).

1 comment:

Mela said...

No MAC! To expensive!