Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Part 1: Our World...

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I would like to thank everyone who commented about my last “my opinion” blog or e-mailed me. I think many of us are silently frustrated and weary of what seems to be a losing fight in politics, social changes, sin, finances, and the noise that is our world.

Often it is so easy to dwell on the negative. It is so easy to get weary of fighting with the opposing influences in our country and our own personal lives. Over the next few days I want to point out the more positive aspects of our world, our worth, and our technology.

The first thing I want to talk about is our world...

I’m not talking about our society. I’m talking about the beautiful world our Heavenly Father has given his children. We don’t belong to the earth as our green friends would say. The earth belongs to us. The earth is ours to use as we see fit. The earth is our stewardship. We will be held accountable someday for our stewardship over the world.

And God blessed [Adam and Eve], and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Pretend you had a daughter who was moving to Phoenix. If you live in Phoenix you really need a car to make it around town. So you buy your daughter a car to use in Phoenix. Some time later you came to visit her and you found the car you bought for her trashed. The oil wasn’t changed, there where pizza boxes in the back seat, the car was dented and scratched, and there was a Hillary ’08 sticker on the back window. How would you feel about your daughter?

Pretend you gave a car to your other child who was moving to Phoenix. Some time later you went to visit him and you found out he was taking the bus or the taxi. He was broke because couldn’t keep a job. He was having a hard time making it to work because he was taking the bus or paying for a taxi. He didn’t want to drive the car because he wanted to keep it clean. He was a good driver; he just didn’t want to lose that new car smell. Maybe he thought his ’01 Ford Focus would be a classic someday and he didn’t want to put the miles on it. How would you feel about your son?

Which child would you be most disappointed in?

I would be disappointed in both kids – my daughter for not taking care of her car and my son for not using the car in the first place. Believe it or not, I would be more concerned about my son. He didn’t even use the car. I would think that he didn’t appreciate the car I gave him. I would think he was kinda dumb for just letting the car sit in his driveway. Is the car more important than my child? No! My son is far more important to me than the car. I gave him the car so he could be successful in Phoenix. My daughter may have trashed her car but she had a job and she wasn’t broke. I could always buy another car – the Hillary ’08 sticker is a whole other matter.

Our Heavenly Father looks at us in much the same way. He has given his children this world and he wants us to be happy. He doesn’t want us to trash the earth and he doesn’t want us to think the earth is more important than we are. In fact, we are far more important to him than the whole earth. We have been created in His image. God can always create another earth...

3 comments:

lackrik said...

"Hillary '08 bumper sticker" ROTFL!

Great thoughts. Loved the "We don't belong to the earth. The earth belongs to us".

Mela said...

I really liked it! Thanks! Can't wait to read your next one!

Unknown said...

That is an excellent analogy. I've had the same "stewardship" discussion with many friends and I will incorporate this analogy into my future debates/discussions.

If you extrapolate this analogy out to the obvious conclusion, you see that there are people in the world who want to condemn other (countries or people) to a third world, agricultural life. They may have a car, but they don't want anyone in China or Africa to have one, even if that person in China has recently gotten a good job and some prosperity and needs a car to have that job. According to many, cars (and all modern conveniences that use any energy or expel anything other that water vapor and pixie dust) are evil and no one (except them) should have one.

The flip side is the people who forget about the stewardship. God made this world with enough resources for all of his children, but my bet is that he has many more children waiting to be born and we need to consider them in our choices.

Also, we were all boy scouts, and we know the rule about always leaving a campsite in better condition than we found it. The same thing should apply to all aspects of our lives (relationships, friendships, the environment, jobs, etc.)

Sorry about blogging on your blog.